Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Main Course Stuffed Mushrooms

Today was one busy day at work. I was actually so caught up in a project I was doing that I totally forgot to eat lunch, and let me tell you that rarely happens. Usually hunger gets the best of me midday, but not today. Around 3:00 I scarfed down a bowl of soup and some microwaved cauliflower, but it was nothing exciting. Nothing like giant stuffed mushrooms!


Matt cooked these babies up while I played with Riker in the living room. Riker's a rolling machine these days...he literally just rolls over and over, giggling the whole time like it's the funniest thing he's ever done. Then he starts hysterically crying because once he's on his belly, he remembers he actually doesn't like being on his belly. He cracks me up!


But back to these mushrooms. I thought having stuffed mushrooms for dinner was a strange idea since I've only ever eaten them as a poppable little appetizer, but Matt was really into the idea so I went with it. And man, these things are definitely main course worthy.

To make the mushrooms, he sauteed some onions in a little olive oil, then mixed them up with some chopped garlic, a quarter cup of breadcrumbs, salt & pepper, and half a package of LightLife Gimme Lean "Sausage". He also chopped up the mushroom stems and threw them into the mix. Then he baked them at 375 degrees for about an hour.


This veggie sausage is awesome! Matt is by no means a vegetarian, and even he loved it. It's full of flavor, has a good texture and is so much healthier than pork sausage; each serving has 60 calories, no fat, and 7 grams of protein. No comparison to the traditional stuff!


We ate our mushrooms alongside some roasted Brussels sprouts, and I also ended up grabbing the BBQ sauce for a little dipping action. Such a filling, satisfying meal.

Now I'm off to scrounge up something sweet and relax with my book. This one's kind of slow going, but I'm sticking with it for at least a few more chapters.

Enjoy your night!

No comments:

Post a Comment