Saturday, April 14, 2012

Caprese Baguettes and Wrinkly Apples

Yesterday we had to hit up the grocery store to stock up on some things, and while we were there I spied a beautiful ciabatta baguette. I actually see these loaves of bread every time I shop and always want one. Well yesterday I finally decided to grab one and make caprese sandwiches for dinner last night.


You know how I feel about tomatoes now, so I was really happy to find some gorgeous vine ripened ones at ShopRite yesterday. To make the sandwiches, I toasted the bread in the toaster oven and then layered up a few pieces of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and salt and pepper. I was going to drizzle the sandwiches with olive oil, but at the last minute I decided to make a quick pesto mayo; I just added a bunch of chopped basil, a minced garlic clove and salt & pepper to 2 tablespoons of olive oil mayo (1 Tbsp. each for Matt and I). So good! The bread was crunchy and all the fillings tasted so fresh.


The best part about this sandwich? Other than how good it tasted, of course. That serving of bread only had 140 calories and the fresh mozz was also low in fat and calories, so this puppy was pretty healthy too. Matt added some grilled chicken to his sandwich to pump up the protein. On the side I served veggie-filled salads dressed with my favorite vinegar.

It was Friday after all, so we also sipped on some good brews with our dinner.


I had the new Magic Hat Spring Seasonal, and Matt had the Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. They were both left here after our party last week. The spoils from cleaning up the next day!

Breakfast

As I was washing the produce I bought at the grocery store yesterday, I noticed we had a couple apples leftover from the last trip that were losing steam fast. They were getting soft and their skins were turning waxy. Blech. Rather than tossing them, I decided to peel them and cook them down for breakfast this morning.


I cooked the chopped apples with some cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, water and Truvia. When they were done, I spooned them on top of some Van's light waffles. I've been wanting to try these out for a while now, so was excited to find them at ShopRite last night. They are made with all natural ingredients and have really good nutrition stats.


I topped our waffles with a dollop of Greek yogurt since I needed another protein, which made this one delicious breakfast.


We're headed out in a bit to meet up with Matt's family for a walk/jog around the Manasquan Reservoir - hopefully we remember Butters' leash this time! wlEmoticon-winkingsmile34.png Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment