Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Grown-up Grilled Cheese

Today was all about Riker. Sadly I have to go back to work in a few weeks, so I spent a good part of the day getting things ready for the people who'll be taking care of him while Matt and I are at work. That included getting his 4-month check-up, making his daily itinerary, starting a packing list and stocking up on lots of extra supplies at Babies 'R Us. I'm pretty sure the people there know me by name by now. Winking smile


Dinner

When we got home from all of Riker's errands, it was dinner time! I had been planning to make salmon tonight, but realized I had an avocado in the fruit bowl that was at its prime and needed to be used. I cannot eat avocados once they start to turn brown - they taste musty and gross to me - so I switched things up and made paninis instead!


My friend Heather mentioned she had a grilled cheese with tomato and avocado for lunch today, and the picture of it looked delicious. Her sandwich sparked a serious craving, so having a ripe avocado on hand was all the push I needed to recreate it for dinner!


To make each of the paninis, I filled two slices of whole grain bread with 1 ounce of cheddar cheese, half a sliced tomato and half an avocado dressed with lemon juice, garlic powder and salt & pepper. Then I put the sandwiches in the George Foreman grill sprayed with cooking spray - no butter needed to get these babies nice and crispy!

On the side we had bowls of salad filled with greens, baby carrots and cucumbers.



The paninis were the stars though - they were nice and melty on the inside and crunchy on the outside. Thanks for the idea Heather!


Now I'm off to fold a million loads of laundry before turning in for the night...thank goodness a Law & Order SVU marathon is on TV to get me through these 200 socks I need to match up. Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment