Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Finally Movin'

Things are slowly getting back to normal around here with Matt's broken leg. He actually got a scooter today, which allows him to whiz around the house with ease rather than hobbling on crutches. The minute he hopped on the scooter he was a changed man. I've never seen his spirits go from down to up in two seconds flat! ;-)


Someone else was also a little more mobile today...Riker ate dinner in his high chair for the first time!


He did great, and Matt and I were very happy that our little family got to eat all together for the first time. Most of Riker's food actually went on his face and shirt, but still. :)

With Matt unable to do much cooking the last week and my work schedule being a little crazy (lot of late nights the last few weeks!), pasta dinners have been my savior lately. Tonight's was a cozy bowl of whole wheat gnocchi with lots of veggies.


I bought the gnocchi a few weeks ago for a rainy day, and when we ate them tonight they tasted just as fresh and doughy as if they were made that day. While the little dumplings were cooking, I cooked up some veggies to toss them with.


My crisper was full of mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and onions, so that's what I used. I cooked them in a little olive oil and salt & pepper, then added the cooked gnocchi and a big bunch of arugula.


At the last minute, I added a spoonful of low fat ricotta and some of the pasta water for some creaminess, as well as the zest and juice of half a lemon for some freshness. I also chopped up some fresh basil from the garden.



This was one serious bowl of deliciousness. It was the perfect mix of summertime flavors and rainy day comfort.


Signing off to watch episode 2 of Hatfields & McCoys on the History channel - anyone else watching this series? I am hooked! Oy, I must really be getting old. 

G'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment