Saturday, June 22, 2013

Paleo Eggplant & Tomato Napoleons

We have garden veggies, my friends!


Usually our tomatoes don't ripen until later in the summer, so I was stoked to see some red fruits on the vine this week. As usual, they're super juicy and flavorful. The basil is also coming up like crazy. I used them both in breakfast this morning.


Can you tell Matt is the omelet maker around here? He's away for most of the day mountain biking in Delaware with his friend Chris, so the Saturday omelet-making fell to me. My omelets are so messy and almost always fall apart. :/ Oh well, it was tasty! I filled it with broccoli, Cabot sundried tomato & basil cheddar cheese, and garden tomatoes and basil.

I also used the tomatoes and basil in dinner last night.




My omelets may not be pretty, but I have to say, I think I have a knack for making Napoleons. I had originally planned to make eggplant parmesan, but those gorgeous garden tomatoes just begged to be used so I switched plans to make Eggplant Tomato Napoleons instead. I used to cook the eggplant slices with panko breadcrumbs, but since Matt and I are trying our best to stay really low carb, I used almond flour instead.


The almond flour worked perfectly and made the eggplant slices really crispy. It also gave some great added flavor.


I built the Napoleons with the cooked eggplant, sliced tomato, sautéed onions and mushrooms, mozzarella cheese and fresh basil. Then I baked them until the cheese melted, and Friday night dinner was served.


Just before eating them I drizzled some aged balsamic vinegar on top for a tangy sweet punch. Deliciousss.


I was too busy throwing things together to write down measurements on this, but the method is pretty simple so I posted it below.

Now I gotta get my booty in the shower and get ready for a BBQ housewarming party at Lindsay's house this afternoon. Riker wasn't feeling well today so I spent most of my morning running to the doctor and pharmacy and doing lots of baby snuggling. He just went down for a nap so I've got about 2 hours to make an appetizer and get ready for the party. Enjoy your Saturday!

Paleo Eggplant, Tomato Napoleons

Ingredients
Eggplant
Almond flour
2 Eggs, scrambled
Fresh tomatoes, sliced
Onions, sliced
Mushrooms, sliced
Grapeseed oil
Fresh basil
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Aged balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 350.

Slice the eggplant into slices about 1/2 inch thick. Dip into the egg wash, then into almond flour. Cook in a skillet over medium heat with grapeseed or canola oil until brown and crispy.

Meanwhile, saute onions and mushrooms with salt and pepper until tender and golden brown.

Layer the cooked eggplant with sliced tomatoes, sauteed onions and mushrooms, mozzarella cheese and fresh basil leaves. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, until cheese is melted. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment