Thursday, January 24, 2013

Spaghetti with Caramelized Onions, Kale & Garlic

I'm on another Sons of Anarchy bender. We're knee deep into season 2 this week and I'm barely containing myself from watching more than two episodes a night. All day at work I daydream about when I can shut down my computer and curl up on the couch to lose myself in the biker gang. I have a thing for counter-cultures. Someone stop the madness!




I always need dinners that take 30 minutes or less during the week, but it's especially crucial when you've got a Netflix instant queue calling your name from the living room.


I've been seeing a few spaghetti & kale recipes on my Pinterest lately, but sadly every time I tried to get the recipe I landed on a dead link. But when I spotted a frozen box of kale at the grocery store (right next to those small frozen boxes of spinach), I figured I'd give my own version a go.


I don't feel bad about serving up a big bowl of pasta for dinner when it's smothered with leafy green veggies. And I definitely don't feel bad when it's 8 degrees outside.


I wouldn't normally buy frozen kale, but I thought this was one place it could work well - no cleaning, no chopping, no taming of the hardy, tough kale leaves you get in the produce aisle. Success! Using frozen kale made the dish so easy and quick to make. Bonus - this meal is low in calories and chock full of vitamins. Plus it's delicious - even Riker ate a few handfuls. ;-)

I'm willing myself to not watch another episode of SOA and go to bed to read the last few chapters of The Glass Castle. Talk about total opposite ends of the spectrum!

Spaghetti with Caramelized Onions, Kale & Garlic

Serves 2 as a main meal (4 as a side dish)

Ingredients
4 oz. whole wheat spaghetti
3 tsp. olive oil
1/2 medium onion, sliced thin
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
10 oz. package frozen kale
1/2 tsp. black pepper
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Cook spaghetti according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, microwave frozen kale according to package directions (approx. 9 minutes).

Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onions, 1/4 tsp. of salt and crushed red pepper flakes and cook for about 10 minutes, until onions become soft and slightly caramelized. Add garlic and cook for about 2 minutes more. When kale is finished cooking, drain any excess water and add to the onions and garlic; add remaining salt, pepper, and lemon zest and juice. Stir until well combined.

Add cooked spaghetti and parmesan cheese to the kale mixture. Toss until pasta is well coated and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment