Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Savory Tomato Orzo with Shrimp & Greek Olives

Fall dinners are in full swing! These chilly evenings have me digging through my recipes and pulling out some old cold weather standbys. When I was making my meals list last weekend, I added an old favorite to the rotation - Braised Halibut from a Weight Watchers cookbook I was given a few years ago.


I love this dish because it's warm (and steamy as you can tell by the pic up there) and satisfying, but boasts some great nutrition facts. I didn't feel like using the flaky white fish this time, though, so changed it up by adding shrimp and a few other ingredients.


It also includes capers and kalamata olives, two of my favorite ingredients. They add a burst of saltiness and a surprise flavor element to the tomato-based dish. Next time I'd consider topping it with some crumbled feta cheese as well.




As much as I wanted to curl up on the couch with this bowl of hot pasta and shrimp, we sat at the table as a family and talked through dinner instead, which was of course much more enjoyable in the end. After putting Riker to bed I had pleeeenty of time to lounge in the living room and watch the ridiculousness of Monday Night Football unfold - I swear, I think football fans are going to blow a gasket soon if we don't get our pro refs back!

Have you guys seen this pic from last night's game, where one ref is calling a touchdown and the other is calling an incomplete pass? I kind of love it.


I digress. Make this dish - it's easy and comforting and beckons on the cold weather. Nutrition stats included below!

Tomato Orzo with Shrimp & Greek Olives

Serves 4
Adapted from Braised Halibut and Tomatoes with Orzo by Weight Watchers

Ingredients
2 tsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp. caraway seeds (optional)
1 16-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup orzo
12 kalamata olives, chopped
2 Tbsp. capers
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
8 oz. shrimp, peeled and deveined

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and saute 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and caraway seeds, and continue cooking a minute more, until all veggies are softened.

Stir in the tomatoes, water, orzo, olives, capers, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir often and add more water if mixture becomes too thick or sticky.

Season the shrimp with remaining salt and pepper, then add to the skillet and mix into the orzo/tomato mixture. Cover again and continue cooking about 8 minutes, until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment