Saturday, August 11, 2012

Back on Track

If you've been reading for a while, you might have noticed it's been quite a while since I posted a workout on here. Ever since I went back to work in April, I've found it really difficult to make time for exercise. There are always dishes to be done, laundry to be folded, floors to be swept and a mobile 8-month old baby to chase after.

I work fairly long hours and have a really long commute into the city, so waking up extra early to squeeze in a workout before Riker wakes up has not been first on my list of things to do. The problem is, that little bit of extra sleep I'm hanging onto doesn't make me feel more relaxed, and it certainly doesn't make me feel any healthier than a good run would. Over the last few months I've slowly slipped into one of those workout ruts, and I'm reminded by it every time I look in the mirror.

A few weeks ago I was contacted by someone at Beachbody.com, the makers of my beloved P90X videos. She let me know of a few new Beachbody workout series she thought all of you might like to check out. After taking a look at them, that old inspiration started to creep back in.


Check out these awesome new series:

Body Beast Workout 
Ultimate Reset
RevAbs
P90X for iPhones (finally!)
P90Xx2 Workouts

  
The Body Beast looks a little intense for me, but the P90X for iPhones is right up my alley (would be great for traveling!), and the Ultimate Reset looks great for when you need a kick start. This fall they're also launching an Asylum Volume 2 workout, which shares advanced training techniques top athletes use. Check it out here.

Today I forced myself to realize that the dishes and laundry will always be there, and the house could always be a little cleaner. My to-do list will really never be finished, no matter how many errands I run or chores I do. No matter what my work schedule is, I've realized I really need to make time for myself and take care of my body. The residual effects of having a solid exercise routine - other than feeling and looking better - is that my eating habits also tend to improve. When I'm committed to working out, I tend to not want to indulge my sweet tooth as often and actually find myself craving fruits and veggies more often. A win-win!

So, starting this morning, I'm getting back on track. I popped in a P90X video and got to work right when I woke up so I wouldn't have a chance to lose my motivation. It felt so good to sweat again! Thankfully I'm starting a new schedule at work next week and will now be working from home 4 days a week, thanks to a wonderfully understanding boss, so now I really have no excuse. In the words of Tony Horton, bring it! ;-)

What do you do to get yourself motivated and out of a workout rut? Share your tips and inspiration!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome that there's a P90x app for the iPhone!! I'm definitely going to get that for when I'm traveling for work!

    ReplyDelete