Monday, May 14, 2012

Celebrations Part 2

We still have some more catching up to do from the weekend - I told you it was a good one! :) After spending a gorgeous day at the winery with Matt and Riker...sorry, one more picture...


...we headed home to put our kiddo to bed and then head out for an adults-only evening. My sister was kind enough to babysit for us so we could go out. She even offered to get up with Riker in the morning so we could stay up later than 10:00. Now that is family! Thanks Amanda! :)

I didn't know it at the time, but Matt had arranged for a bunch of our friends to meet us out to celebrate my 30th birthday in style. I didn't care to do anything big, but I always love spending time with our friends so I was excited to see everyone. We started things off with dinner just the two of us at Spicy's Cantina for TexMex and margaritas.



We were lucky to score a table right on the boardwalk so we could watch the sun set over the ocean while we ate. After sipping our drinks and nibbling on homemade chips and salsa, our entrees arrived.


Matt and I split the spinach & garlic tacos and the lobster & shrimp quesadilla. Both were seriously tasty. I never thought to stuff tacos with spinach, but it totally worked. And as far as the quesadilla, it was stuffed to the brim with huge chunks of lobster.




After dinner, we headed down to the bar area when one by one our friends started showing up. Other than my closest girlfriends, I had no idea who was showing up, so it was really fun to be surprised every time someone new walked in the door. We ended up having a group of about 20 of us, and we bar hopped down the boardwalk to a couple different places. We haven't done that in a long time, and it was awesome.


The (very late) evening ended with a dance party which I was waaaay into. Give me a few margaritas and I'll be on the dance floor all night. ;-) Such a great birthday celebration!

Sunday

After our late night on Saturday, we were a little slow going on Sunday. The morning involved paying $250 to get my car out of the inpound lot, which admittedly was not a good start to the day. On Saturday night we paid to park our car in a lot so we could take a cab home, since neither Matt or I will drive after having a few drinks; unfortunately the lot closed at 3:00 AM and had my car towed. It put a damper on the weekend, but my sister had a good way of looking at it - at least I have a good story for my 30th! :)

After dealing with the car, the rest of the morning included bagels for breakfast (a rarity around here!), and some napping...


some Mother's Day gifts...


(New mixing bowls! And a pasta attachment for my KitchenAid! My excitement is totally serious...I've already used all three of the bowls and can't wait to try the pasta maker)

And a visit with Matt's family for more Mother's Day gifts, birthday gifts and leftover birthday carrot cake with cream cheese frosting rounded out the afternoon. 


Then my homemade cauliflower mac & cheese was enjoyed for dinner outside on the patio. Recipe coming your way tomorrow!

I was a little sad to see the weekend end since it's been day after day of celebrating for the last week. It's always fun when people genuinely want to celebrate YOU, isn't it? I am thankful to have such wonderful family and friends who always make me feel special. Now it's Matt's turn...he's turning 30 in a few weeks and I gotta get cracking on the planning. :)

3 comments:

  1. That mac and cheese was pretty good considering it had very little cheese and lots of cauliflower!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a great birthday! Vaness told me everyone was meeting up for your bday, but we were away last weekend. I would have loved to be there to celebrate with you! Hopefully our paths will cross sooner than later! I'm hoping to make it to your mdw/matt's bday bbq. we are pretty busy that weekend, but i'm going to try to drop in with vaness if i can work it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes hopefully we can hang out soon! Would love to see you guys at the BBQ, but I know things are crazy on MDW, so if I don't see you then I'm sure we'll see you at some point soon, it is coming summer time after all :)

      Delete