Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Good Things in Life

It's been a sad week in America. All week I've found myself glued to CNN, poring over every new piece of news from Boston and now Texas. Wanting to know every detail about the victims and their families. Watching the father of a Newtown first grader tell the world that his heart is broken since his child was killed in December. I don't know if it's because I'm a mother now or not, but every picture I see of those children brings instant tears to my eyes, and it takes all I have in me not to break down and just have a good cry for how sad it all is. Ever get that feeling?

But then I read about acts of great kindness, about people running into the fires to save those who have been injured, and I remember how good our world is, too. I read this post from a friend on Facebook, which I had to share. It was written by a comedian, of all people. Excuse the language up front...we don't usually curse on SSA, but I didn't want to cut anything out.


That last line gets me every time. But while the good will always outnumber the bad, the world is still a scary place sometimes. So I think it's important to remember, not only during times of tragedy, to hug your loved ones a little bit tighter every night...


To savor beauty in the world, even if it's on the way back from a business trip when you're stressed and exhausted and cramped in a tiny puddle jumper plane.


To not judge yourself or others too harshly. And every once in a while, to eat ice cream sundaes for dinner.


Which we happily did last night.

While my heart is heavy for all the tragedies that have happened this week, and I'm praying for all the families who have been touched by them, I'm enjoying the good things in life as well. I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment