Sunday, April 14, 2013

Shrimpy Lunch

This weekend went by way too fast. I'm sitting at Newark Airport waiting for my flight to St. Louis, but I had to pop onto the blog before jet setting into another busy work week.

Friday night my sister Amanda drove over from Philly and, while I had taken some shrimp out of the freezer to have for dinner that night, the Friday night dinner blues soon took over and none of us felt like cooking. We kept procrastinating and by 8:00 we were all famished and decided to just order Chinese.


I ordered spicy tofu and vegetables, and asked them not to bring the rice it usually comes with. We also refrained from ordering Crab Rangoons, which are my absolute favorite. It's a Chinese takeout win in my book when you don't eat the Rangoons.

My sister and I spent the evening lounging in the living room catching up until I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. Matt on the other hand, had a burst of energy and was determined to take care of a long overdue house project - painting the upstairs hallway and guest bedroom. He painted the whole thing this weekend, and it looks awesome. Pics to come when it's all complete and put back together!

***

On Saturday morning we had a leisurely couple of hours around the house, starting with coffee and omelets stuffed with arugula, broccoli, garlic and Havarti dill cheese.


Amanda and I had planned to do some shopping in the afternoon, but for some reason I just couldn't wake up and felt so, so tired. My throat got sore, I got some body aches and a headache came on, and along with it some serious grumpiness. The last two weeks have been intensely busy with work and social stuff, and whenever I go too fast/too strong for a long period of time I tend to get the same sick symptoms; I think it's my body's way of telling me to slow down and rest. Being the amazing sister that she is, Amanda offered to take Riker back to her house for the afternoon so I could lay down and take a nap while Matt finished painting. That 3 hour afternoon nap did wonders!

After I woke up, Matt and I went to check out a new house that came on the market, and since I was feeling a little better and Riker wasn't home yet, we took advantage of the "just the two of us" time and stopped at the Draft House for an early dinner.


And Bloody Mary's. ;-)


We started with some Clams Rockefeller, which were stuffed with spinach and mozzarella cheese.


For my entree I ordered the fish tacos, which were not amazing but pretty decent. I ate two and Matt ate the third one.


We got back home with just enough time to change clothes and head out to our friend Liz's birthday party. My sister and her boyfriend Justyn were kind enough to not only watch Riker for the afternoon, but stay overnight and babysit at our house so we could both go out. Seriously, Amanda wins sister of the year award this weekend! I showed my thanks by stealing a cupcake from the party for us to share. ;-)


Actually, I brought it home for Riker, but cupcakes don't last too long in our house and Riker didn't stand a chance at getting a bite of it.

The party was fun, but the later it got the more sick I started to feel. My throat felt like it was on fire and I was running a slight fever, so I decided to leave early and try to get a good night's sleep before traveling to St. Louis today. It's not often we get a big group together these days, so I was bummed to be feeling crappy and not much in the mood to be partying it up.


I made sure to snap one pic before calling it a night and heading home.

This morning Matt, Amanda and Justyn all went out mountain biking for a few hours and I stayed home with Riker packing and getting ready for the week. Food has been pretty boring so far today - yogurt bowl, banana protein shake, and some pan seared shrimp - but I plan to remedy that when I get to St. Louis just in time for dinner.


The shrimp were actually pretty good (sautéed in coconut oil and then tossed with some homemade peach habanero jam), but I had planned to top them over a big salad...unfortunately Matt was thawing a piece of beef in the fridge and some nasty juice from the meat spilled all over my tubs of greens, and there was no way I was eating that. I ran out of time to make anything else, sooo, plain old shrimp in a bowl ended up being lunch. At least they were tasty.

I hear boarding calls are starting, so that's my cue. See you from the midwest!

No comments:

Post a Comment