Thursday, August 29, 2013

Cauliflower Pizza Crust Taste Test

This has been a dinner cooking-drought kind of week. We all have them, right? Monday night was busy so we had breakfast for dinner; Tuesday I had a karaoke outing with my office after work, where I nibbled on some sushi platters they had ordered, which was a good thing since I got home at 11:30 pm which is way too late to even think about eating a real dinner; and then last night I just didn't have an appetite at all. After I fed and put Riker to bed, I cuddled up on the couch to finish the third book of the Trylle trilogy, Ascend. Not impressed with that ending, by the way! :(


Around 9:00 I got a little hungry so made a big bowl of steamed broccoli with parmesan cheese - quite the late night treat, huh? Well I won't be cooking again tonight, but I will be making up for the improper dinners of the last three nights. After work we're meeting up with 3 other couples for dinner at a funky little restaurant called Labrador Lounge, and I can't wait. My entire family is coming into town tomorrow for Labor Day Weekend, I love that place and am looking forward to kicking off Labor Day Weekend a bit early with our friends. I woke up extra early this morning to squeeze in an at-home workout (I've been slacking lately...) since I know there will be wine and dessert on the menu later.

Since I haven't done much cooking this week I thought I'd share something I made a few weeks ago, because I also need some suggestions from you guys. I've been wanting to get on this new cauliflower pizza crust craze, so a couple of weeks ago Matt and I blended up some of the veggie on a Friday night to give this new pizza variation a whirl.


We had so many tomatoes from the garden and I'd already made two batches of marinara sauce for the freezer, so pizza seemed like the next logical way to use them. Plus, you know how I feel about Friday night pizza. It's my fave.


We used this cauliflower crust recipe from Paula Deen that I found on FitSugar, which seemed like it would work well and hold together nicely. Toppings included ricotta cheese, fresh mozzarella, garden tomatoes, olives, mushrooms and fresh basil.


We made his & hers versions: his in a pie plate (deep dish style) and mine on a pizza stone. We wanted to see which style worked best.

In the pie plate:


On the pizza stone:


Both were good, but I liked it on the pizza stone better since it came out looking more like a pizza once it was sliced.


So now for the verdict. I mean, it was good (actually really quite good), but it didn't taste like pizza. It tasted more like polenta pie. The recipe said you could pick this up like a regular slice of pizza, but unless I made it wrong that was a straight lie. Maybe I put too many toppings on, but it definitely had to be eaten with a fork.

So I know that a lot of you out there have been trying different cauliflower crust pizza recipes, so if you have a good one you like, please share! I need this in my life.

Off to do the work thang!

No comments:

Post a Comment