Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Easy Baked Apples

Dinner tonight was pretty uneventful - baked fish and string beans - so let's just get to the topic of the day. Baked fruit!

Every year once the weather starts turning cool, I lose my appetite for fruit - like, can't possibly bear the thought of eating another peach, banana, orange, nectarine or anything else cold. I just can't do it. Pears and crisp apples are an exception, but for the most part I have to force them down to get my fruit intake for the day.

Then one day I decided to just start baking them. Warm, cinnamon covered apples topped with Greek yogurt for a 3:00 snack? Something about that sounds sooo much better.


Most Sundays in the fall, I'll bake off a tray of these apples or pears and keep them on hand for breakfast and snacks throughout the week.

Red Delicious work best in my opinion, but really any apple, pear or other firm fruit will work.


Simply cut them in half, then use a melon baller to remove the core.


Then lay them in a baking dish, and pour a half cup of water in the bottom of the pan


Sprinkle the apples with cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice. Sometimes I add a little stevia as well.


Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, until they're nice and tender. 

I love making these, and eat them pretty much every day for snacks or desserts. The house smells delicious, and the finished product tastes sweet and guilty, but is perfectly healthy. :)


And with that - off to watch the Presidential Debate!

No comments:

Post a Comment