Thursday, December 13, 2012

Spicy Coconut Veggie Quinoa

Who'd have thought that coconut would make an appearance on a cold winter's night dinner, eaten curled up on the couch watching Christmas movies? It started when I reached for the olive oil, but since it was too far back in the cabinet and I was too lazy to get my step stool, I grabbed my (only used once and totally neglected) coconut oil instead. Then came shredded coconut and walnuts, and then red pepper flakes. Sweet and spicy perfection!




I wasn't expecting this humble bowl of grains and veggies to be intensely flavorful, but it was. Matt and I gobbled it up in no time. I didn't write down any measurements as I was tossing things into the pan, but the method went like this:

1. Heat a tablespoon of coconut oil in a pan.
2. Add onions and sautee.
3. Add whatever fresh veggies you have on hand - use up all the odds & ends! I added chopped portobello mushrooms, broccoli, carrots and zucchini. Cook until veggies are tender and sweet.
4. Add salt, pepper, chopped garlic and 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes.
5. Add a handful of shredded coconut and 1-2 tablespoons chopped walnuts.

Toss all the veggies with 1.5 cups of quinoa cooked with veggie broth and Adobo. The quinoa cooks up in only 15 minutes, which is about how long the veggies take, so everything comes together at once!


Yummy bowls of goodness.

Back to work for a bit (sigh), but today's my Friday so I can't complain. Can't wait to get an early start on the weekend tomorrow - we have big plans on the books! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment